Thursday, February 28, 2013

More dull weather, but temperatures to match it today so the fire was a welcome addition (rather than a guest I forgot I had invited and had forgotten to cater for ...). So I spent a while downloading useful apps onto the new smart phone (banking, skype etc) and then googled around for shed designs and found one I fancy. I have been struggling with the need to have a pitched roof and trying to work out how to do it when it is me doing the building. This one gives me the result I was looking for and should be possible to argue past Council. It is basically a skillion with a fairly steep pitch, similar to the small chicken shed I built before. The high wall will face the neighbour (SE) and have the windows in it up high - so I get what is effectively south-facing light into the shed. Since there are sheds between her place and this proposed shed there is little risk a complaint of light pollution would be upheld. This also frees up the roof of the shed for possible future use for solar panels instead of having them on the house roof (there is underground electrical cabling to within four metres of the proposed shed footprint). The back wall, for reasons of economy and vernacular impact would be recycled galvanised iron I suspect. Likewise the two side walls which have no openings. The front wall, facing into the yard and with the two doorways, will probably be easier to do in cladding of some sort (vertical board and cover-strip perhaps, oiled black). The lower wall would, obviously, face into the yard. There would be two doorways - one of which lacks a door as that section (3x3m) will be for firewood storage. The other opening would have two doors of unequal width (800 and 400). The narrower one will be more frequently fixed in position but available for wider stuff. If I pour a slab for the main shed (4x3m), and have a gravel floor in the other - use recycled materials all round (bar the roof) then I should get out of it fairly cheaply I hope (apart from labour to help with erection). So that is now drawn onto the plans for the yard (which so far only get half way down the yard - I need another A3 sheet of graph paper). Elevations and specs are also on the drawing. That vast blank wall some of you will be envisaging between the two doors will possibly become the home of one of those lean-to greenhouses (with ample shadecloth) for winter seedling propagation. Or for the barbecue. Or for an outdoor sink ... or a solar wax melter and dehydrator ... who knows. I have downloaded the plans to help me draw up plans for building approval at the same time. This can be achieved if I get that part time work I mentioned yesterday, but otherwise may have to wait for the Herbalife to start generating a realistic income. The 'shed' part would be lined with ply and insulated throughout. Once I have the rest of the yard mapped out, I will see if I can photograph it with sufficient detail so you can see the overall plan ... There is a lot of truth in the thought that you have to live in a place for a while before you can work out what will work best where ...

2 comments:

  1. Jo - a big hello from Piggy in the UK!

    Very flattered to see my very own blog in your margin.

    All the best with your renovations and impressive shed building. My biggest ever DIY project was a small plastic hothouse which blew all the way to the next county on a windy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Piggy!! You are welcome - I love the recipes and such. How did you find me? All very weird ... lol

    ReplyDelete