Thursday, February 14, 2013

The day started chasing a stray dog out of the yard. No idea where it belongs, it looks as if it may have malemute in its background. We do tend to get more than a few dogs apparently dumped out this way. Last seen befriending a dog up the road through their fence. Hope it finds its way home. After that bit of excitement I got the mower out and did a few laps of the yard with the result that I am now clear back to the midline fence. Then dug a hole or three and finally planted out the native hops that have been demonstrating their drought-hardiness in pots while waiting for a place in the garden. Turns out they may not actually need to be all that drought hardy as, having dug down through the gravel, I found moist soil. I can but assume that the jerry-rigged rainwater tank next door is leaking into the groundwater - nice for these plants at least!! That is all the planting I did as I reminded myself we are in for a hot spell over the next few days so I retreated indoors to prove to myself that a career in weaving is not on the cards. Two mangled looking lavender wands later and I have decided to bung the rest of the two bunches into a paper bag and wait till the flowers fall off. Then they can be accommodated in embroidered bags in a more civilised manner... lol. I tried out a different flavour shake today. they do vanilla, chocolate, berry and cookies'n'cream. I decided I can make chocolate and berry for myself from the vanilla, but the cookies and cream had me intrigued. Judging from the dark brown crumbs, the cookies in question are oreos, in very fine grind. But add a half a banana and it really does taste like a banana cream pie!! So apparently this is for those who crave their indulgences while on a diet. I am actually getting along quite nicely on the 'diet' food, but my self-control will be tested to the limit tonight. I have bought a roast chicken and I have a real weak spot for roasted chicken skin which, in this instance, must be culled for the dog and cats to enjoy. Not sure I can trust myself... Was also cruising Backyardpoultry and found reference to these sets of plans: http://www.thegardencoop.com/ which seem to effectively resolve the poultry housing issue if combined with the 2mx2m original hen run and perhaps a lower extension in more rigid materials like cattle panels. Simple but stylish, with a rain water tank fixed along the back (those narrow long ones for suburban gardens) for protection from insane neighbours flapping their arms at them and scaring the living daylights out of them, it should work very nicely I think (albeit not so nice for the chooks who will lack the opportunity for free range, But extensions of the sort mentioned which are opened up and closed off from time to time might mitigate this to some extent. To build this from new would cost about $900 according to the poster, but would be considerably cheaper if built from predominantly second-hand materials methinks. new wire of course...

No comments:

Post a Comment