Despite my trepidation, the dance turned out to be good fun. It was girls only (the blokes were out the back at the bar patiently waiting for their wives to put in a showing when they came out to get a drink) and the catering was generous. I was asked to draw one of the (several) raffle prizes and pulled out my own ticket, so I chose the koala bear that no-one else wanted, but which is very cute and will be quite comfy in my bear collection. On my departure I was showered with more gifts in the form of various toiletry samples including shampoos and moisturisers, emery boards and a cloth to clean my glasses with, so it was $5.00 well spent. Someone rushed up to introduce herself and offered to distribute the rest of my fliers around that part of town that Eleanor had not covered and numerous people assured me I had their vote.
I went to the bar and ordered a campari and soda (not that i like it but I wanted a pink drink since this was the theme of the night. But they looked blank so I explained what I really wanted and she offered me a mango and raspberry cider instead. Now I don't know about you, but i am not sure how you can make cider without apples, but it was pink and it tasted pleasant (if a little sweet for my palate) and the rest of the stubby came home with me (after checking that the local copper was still in the bar, as open alchohol containers are illegal in cars).
Today I headed down to Bridgewater to stock up on toilet paper and coffee and on my way back started doorknocking my way up the highway. Had some good conversations with most people and most promised me their vote (not that i put much store on this as first they have to remember to vote and then they have to remember who I was). Tomorrow I will head back down and start from where I left off, taking in Bagdad and (hopefully) Kempton. With Daylight Savings starting tonight I will be able to spend another hour on the road and still get home in time to walk the dogs.
No comments:
Post a Comment