Sunday, May 4, 2014

So much for Sunday being a day of rest. First I realised it was also Market Day in Oatlands so popped into the market as a show of support, toured the stalls, bought a teacake and a pot of oregano (different variety to the one I have - this one is a ground-hugger). Then of course I had the working bee for the Rec Ground committee  - we started off at Shane's place to cut up the four big wharf piers he had there. After blunting chains half way through each round, and finding it didn't split that willingly either, we gave up and went to Gordon's place to cut something a bit more like firewood. He has a big spread that runs all the way up to Stonor from Parattah - presumably one of the farms split of Hilly Park back in the 1870s. The farmhouse is in the village and the rest of the property is pretty lonely country, but beautiful nevertheless. Some nice fat Angus cattle grazing happily there too. This explains the source of the mooing that occurs from time to time from that direction.

There he had a grove of trees that have suffered dieback and some have been cut, and others fallen of their own accord. We cut up one of the latter and piled the bits into the back of a flat tray and then over to the Rec Ground to load it all into the woodstore (formerly a shower when the building was the changing rooms for the defunct footy team).

Then back into Oatlands as the Radio Station has moved to new facilities and was having a sausage sizzle that warranted support (they interview me from time to time about the Garden), catch up with the gossip and home once more to walk the dogs (for the fourth time, the get a walk shortly after I get back to the house each time), cut some wood for my own fire and light the darn thing. None too soon either as the chill had really settled in the house and it was distinctly cold for a while there.

Pureed the pea and ham soup I cooked up from the ham hock I bought earlier, and put some of that into containers for the freezer. The rest can wait till tomorrow afternoon as I have banks to clean and Gardens to get in order tomorrow, and should probably have an earlyish night I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment