Friday, May 2, 2014

After cleaning the bank this morning I scuttled home rapidly, walked the dogs then lit the fire as it was clearly not going to get any warmer. The first hour, until the woodheater warmed up was rather chilly, but it is nice and snug now, and there should be enough wood for tomorrow as well. Since tomorrow is to be the last dry day for a week, I expect I will be cutting wood once more despite the howling gales they are forecasting.

I have yet to call the wood man who I hope will be able to deliver more wood for me once I get my act together. Since I have now stacked all of the last lot it will be easy for him to back in closer to where the wood is stacked and save me the long walks involved in this heap. That is of course if it ever dries up enough for him to be able to drive over there without getting bogged.

The garden, oddly enough, is not all that wet. I pulled up the run-to-seed-lettuces and associated weeds preparatory to putting in some red cabbage seeds, but the ground was quite dry. Hopefully the rain that is falling at present will set that straight by morning. I will then haul out the remaining plants i that bed and put in some green cabbages as well - savoys I think as they seem to be pretty hardy. Then some turnips into the bed that just had its red onions harvested, and I should be pretty well set for winter crops if they all grow.

A friend suggested I try layering the hawthorns to start filling in the gaps in the hedge, so I will get started on that once i have got rid of the twitch that is there and stirred up the ground a bit. A few strategically placed bricks should do the trick and remind me that there is a plant lurking there in case I get carried away with the lawnmower at some point.

Flannel quilt over my feet, cat on my calves and laptop on my thighs and I am quite snug at present. Now all I have to do is finish off the pea and ham soup that I have been cooking today (It needs to go through the blender), and I can read a book for the rest of the evening (or play Game of Thrones).

No comments:

Post a Comment