The rain was but a passing fancy - totalling one mm in all. Oh well - it is all gone now as the wind today has been rather strong.
I headed into town to clean the cottages and spotted a sign for a Garage Sale - we are having a Whole Town garage sale tomorrow, but this one started a day early as they have lots to get rid of, having been clearing out sheds.
After finishing work I wandered in thinking I would have a poke around - I was pleased to find a rather nice gravy boat - white with a dark cobalt blue band and a thinner one in gold. The handle has some raised ornament on the crest so it is interesting even if not valuable. As I was leaving I spotted a large plastic tool box for $40.00 which sounded a lot for just the box, but rather ridiculously cheap if it included the tools in it. It did include the tools, so that came home too. It is a rather eclectic collection of tools - some utterly useless, but many of them very useful indeed - clearly the owner was a bit of a home fixit man - a reel of solder, various sorts of pliers and pincers of the more unusual variety, a mixed lot of screwdrivers - two Stanley shifters (10"), a variety of socket wrenches and spanners, a set of jewellers screw drivers (very handy as I have lost mine somewhere) and so forth. Not to mention three 7and a quarter (or is it a half?) disc blades for a circular saw (though unfortunately not for my circular saw which takes 6" blades).
So I was feeling rather chuffed as I fought my way into the house past greeting dogs while grappling for my phone that was ringing at the same time. Turned out Heather had got even luckier as she was supposed to be running a stall for her occasional boss, but said boss had decided not to bother after all due to the wind. So she gave Heather the lot for the Bargain Centre.
Heather duly brought it all home in her ute (good thing she has a ute!) and we loaded it all into her dining room before rummaging with gay abandon. Good thing we did as some of the stuff is way too good for the Bargain Centre - being collectible retro china, art glass etc. The real find in all the boxes was a selection of very elegant night attire - remember those sheer nylon nighties - the ones with a layer of printed fabric overlaid by sheet nylon - with frilly bits etc? You have no idea how many we found - some with negligees to go with them. Lots of housecoats as well - I pinched one set in cotton, but the rest, along with the stylish '60s high fashion wear will be going to a market stall elsewhere for selling to people who will appreciate them for their retro style. I also scored some nice cotton shirts, a wrap skirt (full length, African print), a set of wall-mounted scales, a spatula (the flexible sort you can no longer get anywhere) and so forth. Wrapt! Unfortunately the two sets of swimwear, despite being marked my size, are clearly designed for someone with either a shorter body length or thinner waist - oh well.
Also a set of bellows for the fireplace - purely ornamental since it is a wood-burner, but since they actually work they may yet come in handy when the 'office' is set up, as there is an open fire in there.
We are both getting up at the crack of dawn to go into the remaining Garage sales tomorrow morning - best to get in early in case we spot something worth having.
No comments:
Post a Comment