Monday, October 7, 2013

We had a trip to Hobart today for the Community Garden and loaded up with numerous additions such as tools, hoses, hosefittings, seasol and such like to be for Community use. Since we were there already I also bought a couple of punnets of flowers for the front garden (petunias and delphiniums) to brighten the place up while I wait for the hollyhocks to get out of the ground, some worms for the (so far) unproductive worm farm, some hose couplings for the seeper hose and some seasol for myself. This has now been applied to the newly planted seedlings (the brassicas, too chilly today for the tomatoes) and seeds (more brassicas, parsnip etc) and some tiny lettuce seedlings which will be one chomp for the decent-sized snail I just laid bait for. These were all watered in with the seasol. Then I checked the asparagus bed (which has broad beans, beetroot and parsnips planted in it) and they are all coming up bar the broad beans. At least one snow pea and one butterbean is also above ground, so it is looking pretty good at present. Now all I have to do is wait for the rest to emerge. I will buy two more bags of compost on Friday to sort out the remainder of the bed I am preparing at present, and also to plant the strawberries in, and then I will pretty well have the garden ready to start providing me with food. Time to build some more beds I think - will have to work out what to build them from (or raid the tip). Forgot to get the bag of cement for the post, but will check if Roberts' have some in stock. If they only have straight cement I can always find sufficient small stones for gravel and add some of the fat sand I have on standby and mix it myself, though I am rather hoping they will have post mix to save my back.
Tonight is the meeting of the Railway Preservation Committee which I have been invited to - will resist all efforts to put me on the executive - I have quite enough on my plate at present.

No comments:

Post a Comment