This may not look like terribly much progress, but the area on the left is mainly loose fill to be removed by hand (since there are too many rocks in it for spade work). The largest of the rocks at the top of the image is over 40cm long, so gives you some insight into the digging conditions. Other large rocks have been relocated to my stockpile for future use in raising a wall around the future terrace at the back door. Doubt I will dig much deeper than this as the metal tank ring on top of this should give me over three feet of depth on the left hand side and that will do me fine. Reassuringly I have found moist soil as I go down, though it is drying out rapidly with today's wind. There is rain forecast for later in the week, so my goal is to have the timber in place before then so I can cover it over while it is wet from the rain. Might pre-soak it in fact, in the wheelbarrow.
Smidgen has developed an ulcer. I noticed an unusually well developed muscle pad at the base of his tail which, on closer observation, and some judicious hair removal, proved to be an ulcer. It is now draining freely (yuck) to the detriment of my soft furnishings as he is unable to bend that far (being rather portly) to clean it up, though he is doing his best and I am assisting with cotton pads at regular intervals. I suspect all in vain as the pocket of infection is between the base of his tail and the opening, so while it is draining, it is also accumulating in the pocket. A trip to the vet may be required if we do not make progress over the next few days.
So what else? I have drafted my speech for the open day, drafted a petition for signatures at the Sustainable Living Festival (and anywhere else people might like to display it) and re-drafted our Information Sheet for the Sustainable Living Festival also. Finalised the gardening notes for November poised to print of 100 copies for distribution on the Open Day and dropped into town for a lunchtime treat at the Companion Bakery (toasted sourdough with scrambled free-range eggs and local bacon with a large mug of coffee), picked up my Our Tasmania - not for Shale bumper sticker but not installed it as the website is not yet live and am now contemplating an evening of icecream and chocolate topping (well, a slice of spinach and pine nut quiche before that...)

No comments:
Post a Comment