Wednesday, October 16, 2013

So much for not volunteering... There was a takeover bid at the meeting last night, so since I am on the side of the angels I am now Vice President (thank heaven someone nominated for President is all I can say). The meeting went for some time due to various discussions (including the use of the lane etc, and possibly, hopefully, a fence down my boundary is not entirely out of the question). Then home to read myself down before bedtime.

This morning the first email I received related to the garden so I simply shot back and said I was tied up with the Railway committee and other matters. I then headed off to visit Gavin with the draft  letter for Derwent Valley Railways and the draft minutes had a cuppa and caught up with their gossip, then on to Jeans for another cuppa and a bag full of spring onionish type chives which I will plant carefully in a pot, since last time I planted them in the garden it became impossible to distinguish them from the chives after a while.

Then into town to the secondhand shop to see if he had any rectangular planters. Came home with a flat leaf parsley plant and two rectangular containers that will adapt happily as planters - all for $2.00. Then home to do some mowing but concluded mowing against a gale is never fun, so I finished off my last book and returned it and the others to the library where I traded them in for some more.

Tonight's dinner is from the CWA cook book and involves cubed beef, root vegetables and mushroom soup a the flavouring. It is alarmingly thick already (20 minutes into a 3 hour cooking process) so I must conclude I will need to check it's progress from time to time (though cooking seems to release a fair number of juices from the various ingredients.

So - howling gales rain and too warm to light the fire - what's a girl to do? It is laid in case I crack and feel the need later on. But now I think a cuppa and that book on the Japanese soldier who went back to New Guinea to recover the bones of his mates looks like the best option.

2 comments:

  1. Got to love the CWA, Chicks With Attitude. Home you enjoyed your dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was surprisingly nice actually. Lots of leftovers to go in the freezer in preparation for future periods of frenzied activity that do not provide time for cooking. Though it will be dinner tonight as well I think as it needs maybe another hour of slow cooking to get the meat just right (apparently 2.5 hours was not quite enough for skirt steak)

    ReplyDelete