Sunday, October 6, 2013

It was the Oatlands Market today (I know, two markets in a row, what's a girl to do?) so I pottered in dutifully to help Eleanor with her stall which is now selling stuff for the garden, the mens shed, a local gardener, and MILE, so it gets a little muddled at times) and spent more than I should have on plants - another strawberry to make up yesterday's purchase to four plants, a broccolini seedling and a cauliflower seedling, and two tomato seedlings!! I decided I would get cheeky and rely on a continuation of the ridiculously mild weather given the forecast for the next week (between 4 and 10 degrees overnight), but luckily doublechecked as tonight's min is 0. The week of warmer nights should help them recover from transplant shock and I can always cover them with frost-fleece if things turn nasty next week. Cloches from milkbottles will also be employed.
I dug some of the newly acquired compost into the spare bed in anticipation of this. Essentially placing it a few inches below ground level as a fertiliser and moisture trap - a new theory I will be trying out. Beds will also be mulched with more compost once the seedlings come up - have to buy a couple more bags to achieve that.

Apart from that, nothing much else to report as it has been a nice sleepy first day of daylight savings...

No comments:

Post a Comment