Saturday, September 21, 2013

Pootled into town this morning for some bread and milk (no point having cold corned beef if you can't make sandwiches). While en route got the garbage run done and took the dog for our favourite walk across the lake. It was a little abbreviated today as a gaggle of swans had taken up residence at the far end of the bund and since this is a bird sanctuary, I felt we probably should turn back before we frightened them. Then called in to Diana's for a brief chat about the garden and home.

Mowed a swathe since it was quite sunny earlier (clouding over now and threatening damply) and weeded the asparagus bed (which had disappeared under a mound of oats and barley). Discovered some asparagus shoots that had been frost damaged so cut them, and a few of their juicier companions and had them with poached eggs on toast for lunch - very sweet and tender - mmmmmmmmmmm.

Planted some cabbages and broad beans and parsnips around the perimeter of that tank, so that the asparagus as it matures, will be surrounded by more produce (I hope). Then retreated indoors, with occasional sallies to do various odds and sods. Did not bother cutting wood which may be a decision I live to regret as tomorrow is supposed to be only 11 degrees, but hopefully I can get some cut between showers.

Ran into the President of the recreation ground at the shop - they are having their AGM soon (bit after that for the Parattah Hall) and he asked me to stand for President (just how many committees can a girl stand?!). I agreed to come to their next meeting which is before the AGM and see how they operate. They are still apparently keen to build me a shed to replace the Container I gave them, but it occurred to me later I would need building permits for that - not to mention materials. So I may recruit them to build the chook run instead (heh heh). Since once that is built and tenanted I can set the bees up once more (with the chook run between them and the neighbour so I can manage them without interference.

Mind you they have been promising to rebuild my bottom fence for the last four years so it may take some time, regardless... We live in hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment