Tuesday, October 27, 2015

An odd day today - bits and pieces of good and bad. I woke at midnight having a horrible dream. I was on a coach trip with a bunch of friends in outback Australia. I stopped to take photos of a particularly lovely roofscape and returned to discover the coach had left early, leaving me without money and with a mobile phone with a low battery. I phoned one of the people on the coach who wanted to have a nice chat but it did not occur to him to stop the coach and come back and get me. I was getting frustrated and angry and very very annoyed as you can imagine. Since it was a magical mystery tour I had no idea of the coach's next stop and neither did the person I was talking to. At that point I woke up and got out of bed for an hour to cool down (it was a hot-sleeping dream), returned to bed a slept wonderfully for the rest of the night.

Woke at six and hopped into the shower with started hiccuping water - oh dear, no water left in the tank. So I turned off the shower, wiped the rest of the soap off with the wet face washer and dressed.

From there things went rather better and I called for a water delivery which was scheduled for 10 in the morning. I was heading out at nine so removed the screws on the filter and left the money in the filter to pay for the delivery. This of course meant that my carefully hoarded funds for our shopping spree were no more.... sigh.

 Our destination was the Longford Tip Shop which it seems is not open on Tuesdays. We had another recycling centre to go to but that was in Invermay which Heather did not realise is in Launceston.

Longford has a rather nice bakery so we stopped off there for morning tea (coffee and a berry frangipane) and bought some salad rolls for lunch. Over our snack we discussed our next destination and finally agreed to continue on to Launceston where we took a wrong turn and ended up at the huge new Bunnings they have recently opened. Turns out that particular Bunnings also stocks wallpaper, so we checked out their selection and discovered that they stock the one I have taken a liking too. I am even more fond of it now (though it has a very long pattern match so it's a good thing I have only one wall in mind), and here it is!
The background is not a solid colour but of varying intensity (like sponging) which I think works particularly well, especially as I am planning to use the Porters distemper paint on the walls around the rest of the room. A nice chintzy fabric for the curtains and the bedroom should look pretty schmick in twelve months time!

We finally backed out of Bunnings and found the location of the next shop on our list, but it was not there. Seems it is no longer in business but has not shut down its website - very annoying. We did find another salvage yard however and that had some beautiful things (and very expensive I thought). The door that came very close to the desired measurements for my bedroom was $220.00 which seemed a bit rich as it was painted (not such a problem as I intend to paint it), and had been added to top and bottom using some pretty poor craftsmanship. I do have a suitable door for the opening which needs work, so I felt that my own workmanship on my existing door would be preferable to that cost.

From there we went to a couple of second-hand furniture shops, both of which had some really nice stuff in them - and so cheap! A blackwood three door wardrobe with very appealing braided beading around the doors and a central mirror for around $200.00 and in the second shop, a beautiful corner cupboard with folk art garland over the top of the door for only $160.00. Now if I had not had to pay for water this morning that corner cupboard would have come home with me straight way (Heather drives a ute as well, so we had the means of transport), but as it was, it stayed in the shop.

Then on to the Salvos where I found a pair of jeans and a  pair of shorts to fit - eight dollars the lot! lol. Much more my price right now.

On our way home we stopped off at Campbell Town for an icecream in the park and a dip into the St Lukes second-hand shop where another pair of jeans (five dollars this time) was added to my wardrobe and so home.

Quite a long day so the dogs were pleased to get out for a walk, but now I am recovering and deciding what to do about tomorrow - do I go to sewing or do I get some washing done?

No comments:

Post a Comment