Sunday, May 31, 2015

It's going to be a long night. My neighbours (the one with too many animals and not enough brains) has decided tonight is the ideal time to burn out a stump. The 'stump' is five foot high, about four feet around, has its head embedded in a live banksia, sits a foot from the fence (paling fence) and seven metres from the side of my house. It is old, dry pine. There is another, taller stump (around 15 feet high) a couple of feet away from the one they are burning. In the other direction they have a stand of mature pines that will burn nicely if they get going.

The wind, which is gusting strongly, is toward my house and the fence. So far so good. I have moved the ute, but the gas bottle may be at risk. The dogs are currently wearing their leashes and the cats will get thrown outside if there is insufficient time to box them, should things go awry.

I have also texted someone to see if they have the number for the local brigade (it's not listed on the Tas Fire website). It will become a 000 matter if I get to see flames above the fence.

When we discussed his plans for the stumps he assured me he would a) let me know in advance of his intention to light, b) remove panels of the fence to reduce risk and c) cut the stump down to ground level so all he was doing would be to burn out the roots. Guess he knows what he should be doing, just chooses not to.

I am assured it will probably go out if it starts snowing - not really all the comforting.

Meanwhile, I have been cooking madly today and now have some pork hung shao, and a beef and barley stew with lots of root veges in it. The pork is melt-in-your-mouth tender and served with Hokkien noodles is delicious (I had it for lunch). The beef is still stewing away, but I will need to turn it off soon as it will run out juices soon, the barley having consumed most of it.

We had a flurry of snow about half an hour ago, but it has stopped once more, and though they forecast falls tonight I will not be holding my breath (though, clearly will witness them if they happen since going to bed while that fire is alight is not an option).

ETA: The fire is out now. The captain of the local fire brigade came and explained the error of his ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment