Tuesday, May 5, 2015

About four weeks ago the neighbours' horses ate two of the posts holding up the paling fence down the lane. I drew this to their attention and was assured they would deal with it as a matter of priority - they even went to some lengths to explain just how they would deal with it. They left for their holiday in Bali yesterday.

Unsurprisingly, with the Autumn gales arriving overnight I awoke to find the fence lying in the lane.

Poor Judy is presently caring for the children so I felt it was a bit unreasonable to expect her to deal with the issue. So I got on the phone to Council who were out there within the hour to fix it. Such excellent service - have to wonder why, but I am not complaining.

I am rather hoping that, having had to fix the fence they will write to my neighbours about the entire fence and suggest (as I suggested to them) that it should be fully replaced with something more suitable for containing their livestock. I have been maintaining the thing for the last six years with no acknowledgement whatsoever, but I stopped doing so once Robin moved in as he seemed to be a little more pro-active than the deceased former husband and has $20,000 of quarterhorses to protect. Apparently, however, he is just as focussed on his own priorities because the only work that was done between our conversation and their departure was removing cladding from the side of the barn and replacing it will colorbond.

The fence being sorted I decided to start off some Boston Baked Beans since they are forecasting snow for the next two days and something warm and filling seems appropriate. I was just clearing out the kitchen when a fellow-committee member called in to see me and wanted to discuss a range of issues relating to the Railway Station. After two hours, he finally left and I ate the sausages i had been about to sit down to for lunch.

Wind and rain for most of the day, but that is the same for the rest of the State. At least this particular attack is coming from a quarter that does not impact me, as the neighbour's large trees block the worst of it. Hope the wind does not shift between now and Thursday when we return to our usual weather for this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment