Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Had a bit more excitement here than is warranted unfortunately. A hail storm hit this afternoon, fortunately after I arrived home earlier than usual from quilting. In minutes the entire neighbourhood was under deep ice that seemed to be struggling to work out if it wanted to be hail or snow. It settled into the internal gulley of the roof with the inevitable results. First a drip drip drip. Then a loud shriek from the hardwired fire alarm. That was continuous until I got the SES out here (in the form of one council employee) who managed to work out how to turn the thing off. Then a call to the insurance to give them a heads up they could expect a claim... and so it went on. Just to make life even more exciting ... last night I was checking who has been watching the blog, which I do from time to time, and found a website that had attached the blog link to itself. So, rather foolishly, I guess, I clicked on it. And was taken to a website showing child pornography. Charming. What is worse, it tried to colonise the computer, opening multiple tabs to show more and more unacceptable images. So shut down and got rid of it, then called the police. We are all told how the police take a dim view of this sort of thing right? How they have international cooperation to stamp it out, right? Well apparently no-one mentioned this to the PC plod who answered the phone. No not him! He first told me he couldn't understand why people maintain blogs in the first place, then told me these website may not be based in Australia (well- who could have thought!) and so the endless litany went on. So I gave up on him and called the Federal police and was asked to call back in the morning. I was getting to the point were a phone call to the Mercury was sounding pretty attractive by this stage! Anyway this morning I gave the police here another chance and called once again. I was bemused to discover that since I live here, the Hobart police would not deal with it, but they told me they would ask Bridgewater police to call me. By around 2 this afternoon I was once again thinking a call to the mercury was in order, but fortunately they police did indeed call back. A female police officer this time who at least had the wit to recognise the issue. She arranged to send around a local officer to have a look at the computer. He came around saw the website, agreed it was nasty, took the serial number of my laptop in case I ever get arrested for looking at sites like this so his report will clear me, and went on his merry way. In the mean time, I have discovered that the Feds have a crime reporting form you can fill in accessible on their website (in case you ever need to know this). Gotta go before the computer goes flat.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Jo, that was a storm and a half, and a disaster and a half for the computer too. I would have totally freaked out.
    Sad to see the house damage -hope the insurance comes through quickly for the repairs!

    ReplyDelete