Thursday, May 2, 2013
The bulk of the ice appears to have cleared from the roof, but more is apparently still there as the condensation it is causing is dripping merrily into the loungeroom once more. Half the the hall ceiling is ruined - similarly the loungeroom ceiling (though it, fortunately, has yet to get the treatment). More buckets are piled in the loungeroom and the electricity remains off. The contents of my freezer are distributed between three local households which fortunately had varying degrees of spare space in their freezers. I seem to be the only local with quite this amount of harm, but Vera tells me she had waterfalls in her sunroom and Kyle up the road had fishbowls rather than light fittings.
My insurance company (Elders) has been fantastic, actively urging me to pursue a claim and to get various people in (at their expense) to provide quotes for damage. I am only getting the electrician in at this point, because I suspect the damage to the plaster will be more apparent after any ponded water has a chance to soak through as well Fortunately with the hard plastering, once it dries out it should be fine, as long as mildew does not get in. To help avoid that I have left the covers off both manholes so the heat from the fire can go into the roof and speed things up. So today it looks more like this:







So from top to bottom we have: the computer sitting on a kitchen chair recharging from the power point that serves the water pump. I realised the cabling for this ran down the side of the house and so should be safe to turn on. It is now turned back off again due to the fire alarm being out of commission at present.
Next is the quantity and depth of the ice remaining in the wheelbarrow this morning after about 3 hours of sunshine. The next three are the ceilings showing the damage, which in the hall is primarily staiing, but as you will note there are a number of light fittings in the way of it all
The contents of the freezer that had already melted by the time I started distributing stuff this morning.
The contents of the fridge which will hopefully be fine if I can turn back on tomorrow (though it occurred to me I might run a cable from the tank stand if I am not permitted to turn on tomorrow.)
The last is just the bottom of the freezer (taken more for the insurance company's benefit than anyone else's.
Gotta go now as running out of power.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blimey, you have been through the wringer what with the weather and the computer infiltration problems. It would have never occurred to me that the police would have to take your computer serial number in case you ever get questioned over your viewing habits. I don't think it even would have occurred to me to even report it to the police even tho I know how horrid these crimes are, thinking that its beyond what they can do. Now I see its worthwhile.
ReplyDeleteWell they certainly make you work for their attention, but once you have it, they are pretty good.
ReplyDelete