Monday, May 13, 2013

The sorting out continues, with all those bags of scrappy bits now either ironed and replaced, or discarded as I have concluded that applique is unlikely to be high on my agenda any time soon. The pie is presently going through its early phases of cooking (i.e. the meat and suitable flavourings are presently slow cooking so they are soft and tender and flavour-some), and the dog is presently demanding to go outside for some reason. Whatever it is it appears to be the same invisible atom that required a flurry of barking and permission to use the front door about half an hour ago. Once outdoors he tried to make a break for the front yard, but is now safely heading downhill to the orchard and freedom of another sort. But he is back in now. Last night i tried to buy a bundle of fat quarters on Ebay. You may well ask 'why?' but the process of sorting through the material I have was sufficient to point out to me that i do not have the right sorts of colours to make the BOM I am enrolled in, and the kits of the 'right' fabric are unavailable. So onto Ebay I ventured and bought myself a bundle of civil war fat quarters so I can make it up using calico as the background fabric. Long story really as the BOM is part of a free craft class I enrolled in when joining Craftsy.com which is a huge website covering off on a number of crafts of which quilting is but one. The pattern for the class is actually a rather modern a-symetric layout sampler quilt which was to be done in bright polkadots and sherbert gelatos. So the civil war fabric is completely at odds with the original design, but there seem to be a number of people using their own colour-ways.I personally err toward natural tones (though there are clear contradictions to that statement in some of the stuff I have made) and these will go nicely with the calico background which I would otherwise have to buy in addition to the fat quarters. So, getting back to the point, I tried to buy these on ebay but the credit card was refused which was silly as there is money available, so we (the vendor and I) concluded the bank had stopped the payment as it was overseas. But no. I had given the wrong expiry date. So all is now well with the world and I have 21 civil war fat quarters winging their way to me for about $1.50 each (which is a lot less than the 4-5 dollars they would cost here in case you non-quilters are having conniptions. and I DO have enough spare bits and pieces of the same fabric ranges to make up any shortfalls. Today, while sorting that lot out, making the steak and kidney pie fillings and so forth, I also continued the sorting and so have only two more piles of fabric (red and brown) to sort through and find a home for. Now it is all neat and ironed, it kind of fits better so hopefully these two piles will fit in comfortably and continue to allow access. A small pile of stuff is also to be taken in on Wednesday and sold at discount rates to anyone interested. And I have printed off some isometric graph paper so I can try to work out how to foundation paper piece the six-pointed stars that I want the blue and white quilt to be made of. I suspect that since it has not been done before it can not be done, but if I fiddle around a bit, maybe I can work something out. The foundations papers I have found to date only make up to a solid star, and I would like the arms of the star to be half midblue and half dark blue so you get the optical illusion of 3 dimensions.

No comments:

Post a Comment