Sunday, May 15, 2011


Mmmmmmmmm the Boston Baked Beans smell scrumptious. If anyone wants to make their own baked beans this is a dead easy recipe. Though I find the cooking time is somewhat less than the recipe asks for (unless you are particularly fond of congealed sauces baking onto your casserole dishes). It comes from a little book called 50 Ways with vegetables and is really very scrummy.

So Here's the recipe:

350g haricot beans (dry)
2tbsp treacle or molasses
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 level tbsp dry mustard
2 level tsp of salt (I left this out as my belly pork was already salted)
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 level tbsp demerara sugar (I just use brown sugar as I have no idea where you might find demerara)
2 onions, peeled and chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
6-8 whole cloves
8-12 oz belly pork skinned and diced (alternately, you veges can add 250g button mushrooms)

Soak beans overnight, then drain and return to pot with sufficient water to cover. Bring to boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain and reserve the liquid.

Place the beans in a heavy casserole (I used the slow-cooker this time, but the le creuset works well too) with all the ingredients (but not the mushrooms if you are using these). Mix well, cover tightly and cook slowly (150C, Gas Mark 2) for 7-8 hours (I actually find it is wise to check at the five hour mark or things could get nasty). Add mushrooms (if you are using them) about an hour before it is done.

Discard the cloves, give it a good stir and serve with crusty bread (if you have it to hand).

Messing around with the chainsaw while that was cooking and getting a couple of loads of washing done since i will be out and about for the next four days and it was a good chance to get the work pants clean.

Now to eat the results of all that seething, though probably not a good choice given I have meetings tomorrow, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment