Thursday, August 12, 2010

Wahay - I now have a hedge. Admittedly it is about the same height as a box hedge in a tiny knot garden at present, but at least it has gone in the ground at a time when all the conditions are about as right as they can be. I will water it in tomorrow, along with the prune that I planted also today. I have also staked all the fruit trees now so it should all be fine when the galeforce winds they are forecasting for tonight arrive and try to blow everything away.

The saga with Rita continues, sadly. She has called council and made a formal complaint that my poultry are entering her yard. This strikes me as fairly obsessive behaviour since they have not been there since March, but hey, who knows what is going through her head? The guy who came out listened to my side of things and offered to talk to her and hopefully she will listen to him when he tells her the bantam is not mine. And that logic suggests it is not my geese that are in her back garden. It is very disappointing that she has decided to embark on this strange campaign given the effort i have put into developing a good relationship with her, and frankly, she will be the loser as a result. No access to the dog (who she adores), no eggs, no tools on loan ... can't understand it myself. But each to their own.

What else? Oh, the tank is more than 3/4 full. We had a total of 2 inches of rain and I am collecting from only 2/3 of the roof, so presumably this means with a full roof drainage I will get a full tank out of that, plus some. Which is great. Now all we have to do is organise to get a regular inch of rain once a month, lol.

Weirdly enough, I have just been approached to become a moderator on a forum of which I have been a member for several years now. It was the first forum I joined and is dedicated to cat rescue in the UK (basically I joined in the hope of getting a cat when I arrived over there, and have been a member ever since). So after sleeping on it, and approaching another moderator to see how she found it, and reading the operating instructions for moderators, I have agreed to a six month trial. Obviously if it takes up too much of my time I will withdraw, but is seems a more useful thing to do than many, so I am prepared to give it a go. Will be an interesting test of my expectations about how moderators should work, lol

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the hedge. And excellent news about having water in the tank. Are you in the drought that is affecting southern Tassie? Or are you safe from it there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the drought here I am afraid. Though a very strange sort of drought. We get the odd few points of a ml from time to time which is enough to keep the grass fresh, but not enough to get into the soil. Until last night, my soil was dry once you dug down 2 inches into it. The top was nice an moist because of the fogs and frosts and so forth, and very little of the winds we had last winter.

    ReplyDelete