Saturday, August 7, 2010

The minus five start to the day put things back a little as it was some time before i had running water. More subzero tonight, but at least the days are lovely and sunny. Had to crack the ice when I went to water the garden and the chooks at mid-morning, but it was not too thick.

I have installed all the cupboards properly now - with screws back into the walls for stability. I also cleared all the clutter that was inhibiting movement in the kitchen - moving some of it into the front room, and other bits into the container. Tomorrow I hope to recover the counter tops from the bottom of the pile of remaining flatpacks to pop temporarily on top of the cupboards while i cut timber to make the base plinth for the stove to sit on. And will also consider cutting a lump of the spare MDF to make a top for the bench that is in the alcove. That way I can install the overhead cabinets in this space also, and have somewhere to stow the foodstuffs currently cluttering up my life here in the loungeroom. That will be temporary housing as this will ultimately be a space for storing preserved foods, but will be handy for use in the interim.

Then if there is time and energy to spare, I will hang the doors on the cabinets for which I have doors, and work out how to cut holes for the hinges on the pantry cabinet (as removing it from its location, moving the legs to the other end and putting it back seems like a 'last resort' sort of solution to me).

Am quite chuffed with the way things are going at present, so wish me luck for tomorrow when adjusting door hinges to get them to hang straight will doubtless drive me to distraction.

On the animal front, I have decided to give the spare female goose away as it is very clear that the other two are an exclusive bond (though whether straight or gay remains to be seen), and I have not got the time, energy or space to deal with the spare girl in any other way. She is definitely not happy with the present arrangements so it will be a good thing if she can move into a space where she can either get herself a mate, or at least escape when they decide to hunt her down. Geese can be fairly malevolent when they put their minds to it. So I have advertised her on Backyard Poultry if anyone is interested in her.

No comments:

Post a Comment