I think I am a bit of a failure at this quilting business - spent today trimming off the squares to the 3.5 inch size that is required and sewing them to the other 3.5 inch four-patches into groups of nine, and the best size I can get out of this combination, despite being extremely careful about 1/4 inch seams is 9.25 inches instead of the 9.5 inch blocks i am supposed to have.
Have concluded the only sensible thing to do is go with the flow and simply trim all finished blocks to 9 inches and have a slightly smaller quilt top. And the colour combinations are not working all that well either. Oh well. I tried. This was supposed to be the 'quickie' quilt to make up for the laborious process of the handstitched one. I think that is not going to be the case.
Chooks and geese are all thriving and all on my side of the fence still despite my neighbour's increasing paranoia and she seems to have gone to ground also. She had a visit yesterday from a friend of hers who knows about geese, so hopefully said friend has pointed out to her all the reasons why her fears are groundless.
The dog has had a pretty boring day with me at quilting so he and I had a bit of a romp when I got home. The cats have had a rather more interesting day as Smidgen seems to have caught his first ever baby rabbit - if the remains on the floor in the bathroom are anything to go by ...
Hi Jo
ReplyDeleteSorry you are having a frustrating time with the quilting. My machine has a very accurate 1/4 inch guide to the foot, which has greatly improved my ability to make the blocks come out right. Does your foot have a guide?
But anyway, I bet the quilt will look great when it is all together. It is all a learning process!
True EMW - and it is only my second (oh wait, third - I still have one part finished that I need to reverse sew to put the blocks the right way round). I suspect that all the gossip and chat we engage in rather distracts me. The seams are accurate - not using the foot with a guide, but the foot that is exactly quarter of an inch from the needle to the edge of the foot. No idea really - except maybe the mini-blocks are not exactly square? Anyway, cutting it down will work so that is what I will do - am over this one and want to get it finished.
ReplyDelete