I despair. Either my electrician is terminally stupid, or he is deliberately stuffing me around. I was finally presented with his idea of an itemised account. Basically it is set out on paper that provides for the relevant information to be supplied (i.e a column for the item, a column for the subtotal, etc, but the actual information is not there. Only one item is specified as being supplied (i.e. the phone cable) and the rest of that section is an incomplete list of the tasks carried out. The hours are inaccurate, and the total is $500 over the top end of his estimate (and a conveniently round figure with no cents).
He turned up today at 11 and left at 2 with the job incomplete. His tasks for today were to check out the three things that were not working (done), install the oven (done, but despite knowing he would be doing it, he failed to bring a 15 amp powerpoint so it has had to be hardwired into the wall), install the smoke detector (done), re-affix the bathroom power point (not done), finish off the work needed to get Aurora to connect me legally (not done), install the downlights with cages (not done as he brought the wrong size cages - again - despite having had that conversation over several times in his more recent visits). So he plans to turn up some time tomorrow afternoon if he can find the time off his other job and may or may not finish the job then. My opinion? He will not be leaving till he finishes the job, and if he does leave, then he won't be coming back.
In regards to the 'invoice' I have drafted a letter expressing my general unhappiness and will give it to him, in an envelope with a cheque for half of what he is claiming. The letter will specify that this is paid as evidence of my intention to pay. It will also indicate that the (agreed) balance will be paid on completion of the job (the term completion being defined), provision of a properly itemised account (example given of the level of information required, e.g. his hourly rate would be handy) and a period of not more than seven days after those conditions have been met (to give me time to go over it with a fine-tooth comb). I am still trying to work out how to specify the time frame within which I expect him to supply the invoice following completion of the job.
Very unhappy with this person ...
While he was here I mowed a bit more grass, drove in a few stakes for the new chook run and generally pottered around by the house so I could keep an eye on him. At least I now have hot water, and (presumably) a functioning oven.
No comments:
Post a Comment