Thursday, August 5, 2010

Surprise! I actually have two - no, three, cabinets installed in the kitchen. There is a lot to remember when you are doing this sort of thing and the last cabinet was lovely and level, back against the wall and all of that, plumb down the front and everything. But ... It was 5mm below the two cabinets it was adacent to. Fortunately, it being a set of drawers, the stray holes from the attachment points to its neighbouring cabinet will not be visible, so I am planning to pretend they are not there, lol.

I also have to find the stud behind this cabinet so I can attach it to the wall as well as its neighbour, but that will have to wait till morning as it is probably too late to be playing with power tools.

We had some lovely rain today, albeit not for long, but it was a good drenching rain while it lasted. Hopefully it will be sufficient to give a bit of a flush of growth to the grass and keep feeding the geese for me. They are looking lovely and plump at present, but the odd one out does not seem to be getting on too well with the bonded pair.

Tomorrow I will hopefully be able to make more progress on the kitchen, and also sort out the problem of door hanging. You will remember I got 'smart' in my attempt to get the doors of the pantry opening into the centre? Well, turning the cabinet upside down, which was my solution has set the hinges out of alignment and the door would now be 1cm below the base of the cabinet if I were to hang it where the hinge settings are. So I will need to drill more holes to place the screws where they belong. That will be a fiddly job, so I will leave it till the other corner and associated cabinets are fixed into position and i have a little elbow room within which to operate.

Dinner tonight is a home-made bacon and barley broth. Sadly the bacon situation will need to wait for a couple more months as the chap at the Triabunna Butchery, who does these things, is off on sick leave with a seriously injured tendon. So I guess that means even when the plaster comes off he will not be up to doing any smoking for a bit as I have to assume that would involve heavy lifting, or at least bending and so forth. So I will keep the meat in the freezer and give them another call in October, when he should be back on deck and fighting fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment