Tuesday, July 7, 2015

I was greeted by a light smattering of snow when I took the dogs out for their last pee of the night last night. This morning it was marginally thicker, but a pretty half-hearted effort all up. I did, however, feel it advisable to delay my departure for Hobart by a couple of hours to let it clear off the roads before I set out.

My main mission today was, of course, the cats' prescription diet from the vet at Montrose, but I also wanted to get a magnetic board with strips that is apparently the best thing since sliced bread in terms of keeping track of where you are up to in a counted cross stitch. I was assured Spotlight stocked them (and so they did, ten years ago) but they were no longer available. So I went to the Needlewoman (now Threads) and they didn't have any either. I was resigned to my loss then thought of the shop in Sandy Bay (A Stitch in Time) so, since I was already in the depths of urban living, I headed down there also. Having once again struck out, I returned to the frozen north via the new Bunnings store (strange how such a new store could have toilets that already look well-worn), concluded it was all too much and headed home.

Having done my best to support local businesses I resorted to ebay and found what I wanted on Amazon (but not ebay oddly enough). Sigh.

We are planning for minus five tonight so I have lit the fire and am burning it full roar at present to raise the temperature indoors to an acceptable level before turning it down a bit. The dogs, having had a bit of a walk around the oval, have concluded going outside is a mug's game, and we are all preparing to hunker down with little further ado I think.

I finished the book I was reading (Blackbird) and I am afraid it all came out in a rather predictable manner with the villains all getting their just desserts and the goodies all reaping the rewards of their honesty. Sigh. Light trash, but I guess it passes the time. Tonight I will be starting Memoirs of a Geisha which I am rather hoping will have  little more intellectual substance to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment