Monday, April 29, 2013
I think it can be safely said that I hate, loathe, despise and detest having to address selection criteria. They are always framed so as to combine the least intuitively connected elements, and to therefore challenge even the most competent linguist in their capacity to provide a logical coherent and succinct response. Take this for an example:
An in-depth knowledge and experience of current heritage practice, including a creative, community-based approach to local heritage management...
Well, actually I do have that latter experience, but it was so long ago that it is fairly irrelevant the present statutory framework, or indeed the context of the position for which I am applying. Sigh. So how to massage this into something resembling a confident presentation of my current competencies remains to be done. All blooming day!! Staring at it, writing something, discarding the writing as incoherent, off the point or otherwise useless... I may get this application done some time this side of Christmas, but I doubt it.
As for their software selection - well, lets say that I have never heard of three of the four items, so will have to bluff my way on that one.
The good news is that two people have agreed to be referees - one being the current incumbent of the position with whom I worked with while at HT. So at least that hurdle has been surmounted. I also, as a result of our conversation, got a clearer picture of the position, the responsibilities, the mess that has arisen as a result of their recent public consultations and the sheer volume of work that will be necessary to get the place into a reasonably sound position to deal with challenges in the Tribunal (while simultaneously chatting to the public about what they can and can not do with their places, preparing reports for Council meetings and budget bids and so forth). So that's good. Not too sure how they plan to get this all done with a part-time position, but the previous incumbent always seemed fairly relaxed, so I guess it can be done. gaaargh! Bring on the lotto win I say, so I don't have to bother with this nonsense again!!
Meanwhile I discovered that the cat had turned on the electric blanket for himself. Going to have to unplug it in future methinks. I wondered why the sheets were not chilly when I went to bed last night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You have my sympathies in regard to all the BS that has to be done to get a job. I am in a similar position where a new job would be nice and there are some out there that I know I could nail, BUT jumping through the hoops is something I refuse to do now at my age, so when I feel like working, I will go relief teaching, as no such BS is necessary for that.
ReplyDeleteperhaps I should have listened to my parents - they always told me I should be a teacher. Personally I think my potential students deserve better.
ReplyDelete