Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Today was more phone calls and my first serious sale. The poor girl has 40++kg to lose, but is enamoured of the product so I have suggested she become a wholesale customer to save her some money. That means she gets a 24% discount on her purchases (and can sell to friends) with the result i only get 10% of the sale. But since this provides her with access to the website and various other temptations the theory goes that she will actually buy more. Certainly it means that the constant opportunities for calling it quits associated with regular credit card transactions will be reduced. The theory also goes that since she will be buying more I will get more volume points (the unit of measure that is used in all 80+ countries they operate in to avoid the aggravation of exchange rate fluctuations)and thus will make my way more rapidly toward a higher proportion of the profit (up to 50% in total). And here is me me who failed maths trying to make sense of this. Anyway, once i had her credit card transaction approved I suddenly realised that I would be unable to pay for it (since her money will not be in the account till tomorrow). Fortunately this was not the case as DHS has given all us dole bludgers (sorry, benefits recipients) a small one-off payment to help us cope with the cost of firewood and electricity. This was just sufficient to pay for the order when added to the amount already in the account - nice huh?! Now if only I could make a profit I would be less reliant on that sort of thing. So apart from running from one end of town to the other with cash clutched in my sweaty hand, it was all resolved with minimal fuss. Mind you I will be in strife if tonight's phone call wants to place an order... Will have to bluff my way through that I suspect. Fortunately my price list is not up to date so will probably have to email her a quote before we go any further ... How does all this work I hear you ask - well - did you know when you undertake a credit card transaction of this nature, the information goes onto the vendor's website. They then carry out a credit card transaction using your details and their merchant account, then they pay from their own business account to ensure speedy delivery of the product!! Great if you have an income, but a bit tricky for me at present, still so far so good. Tonight's phone call may result in me starting the process all over again. Another potential client in Queensland remains interested so I have sent her a sweetener of some energy supplements as she is presently moving house, and so it goes. It was a nice still day to day so it would have been good to get some spraying done - but was too busy running in and out of town to get it done. Will have to start logging these phone call related kilometers as at present they seem to be exceeding my recreational kilometres and every little bit helps. My 16 year old has asked (well, her dad has asked) for additional information which I have shipped to her by email - I will call her back on Thursday to see how she went with it all. She is basically just looking for pocket money rather than a real work-from-home scenario, so I will be surprised if she proceeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment