Saturday, January 15, 2011

Last evening, after all the gloom, the sky cleared and bright sunshine flooded the land. The same today - 25 degrees and then some. It was amazing how it lifted the spirits.

I started to mow the lawn. Well, I set out with that intention. But the spring that holds the throttle in position gave up the ghost and so the mower made a quick trip into town instead.

On my return I got out all the remaining jam jars and soaked off labels, discarded lids, washed bottles and generally got them organised for storage in their new home. I also discovered that my other set of plates does fit the plate rack, so put them into their new home also.

Esther is clearly feeling rather better and so set about trying to get under the house once again. But she seems to have finally worked out that this is no longer an option and so took herself off hunting. Brought in a sparrow - clever girl.

On my way into town I spotted a lovely spotted tabby kitten that had been hit by a car (or so it seemed) near the turn off to the tip. I thought 'how sad' and 'it must have been feral as there are no houses around here' and drove on. On my way home, I spotted another kitten, also dead. But this one was half-way out of a supermarket plastic bag... Clearly someone decided to dispose of a litter. I don't understand why people still do this sort of barbaric thing when a quick trip to Hobart would have put them in the cat's home and given them a chance at life. And a quick trip to the vet would prevent their mother from producing more unwanted litters.

Anyway, more cupboards sorted, the cupboard beside the fire place investigated for careful demolition and the worn cover strip beside it removed so I can gain access to vacuum down behind the panelling.

The australorp is definitely broody. She has kidnapped the second pot-egg from the other nest and is guarding both of them with much enthusiasm.

The mower is fixed, and has new blades so hopefully attacking the new growth will be more successful when I have a bash at it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment