Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Boy did I have fun today!! I had to go to Hobart, as you recall, to collect a few things for the electrician. So I made a list. First, call into Timber Wholesale for a couple of bits of wood for the window sill and to ask him to throw on a very long piece of skirting that I need for the back wall of the kitchen, which will not fit on my ute (4 metres).

While there, I asked directions to the shop that sells lids for bottles. They gave directions but the place was no longer there. So I asked a chap at a loading bay and he gave directions to another location but could not find it there. On my way back down Sunderland Street I noticed one of those newfangled concrete areas with sheds either side that usually house lots of different small trades and such, so went exploring. I did not find the company I was looking for, but did find a place that sells lids and bottles. So I am now the proud owner of rather more lids than you would expect (but I have a lot of recycled bottles to lid up). I also bought a dozen small jars for the garlic jelly I plan to make, and a tray of hexagonal jars for the produce that goes to Market.

From there it was Burnett Street for the electrical stuff, and a chat about wind turbines (his little eyes lit up when he saw our annual average windspeeds, lol). Decided to buy a lotto ticket after that conversation. Then down to Fragments to see if they could explain how the top-light fastening goes on (I have wrestled with this problem on and off for some time, but now I know), and to get my two best kitchen knives sharpened. Unfortunately that shop was still shut and will not be open for a couple more weeks, so I now have two concealed weapons in the glovebox (but better than loose in my handbag as they were as I walked up the crowded footpaths).

Then on to Hollander Imports for some wax foundation and a bee veil - Since the bees will allegedly arrive in the not too distant future, I concluded I needed to be sure I have sufficient kit. The bees will be accompanied by some secondhand 'ideals' with frames, but no foundation or wire - hence the need for foundation).

Over the river to Eastlands where I planned to pay my Telstra and Bigpond bills, but I forgot to take them with me, and I know from past experience the staff there are less than helpful if you don't have your bill, so left and headed up Mornington Road for cat and chook food (and a new Kong for Shadow, who is currently eating his old one).

I briefly called into Cambridge Park to see if they had some tongs for lifting preserving jars out of boiling water, having failed to find any in other locations, and yes they did.

Then I went on to my Freecycle destination at Dunalley. Wow!! It has taken a good hour to unpack the ute at this end, and there is still stuff to be sorted into proper places.

First, a Singer Sewing Machine. Probably about a 1970s model with fold-out extension and a hard case. Singer 676G, I think from memory. It has heaps of spare bobbins too which is always a bonus.

Furniture-wise - a kitchen table with lino top, a desk with drawers either side and a set of shelves - rather too deep to be useful, but will be handy in the short term to replace the caravan table which I am using as a chair-side table at present). These are all that metal-legged stuff from the 1970s. The kitchen table frame will be great for making a more substantial top once I have the house to the point where I can be fitting stuff out. Also, a solid blackwood winerack with pull out shelves for the bottles. It occurred to me I can use the black wood panels from the old wardrobe I demolished ages ago, to make drawer fronts for the racks, and the 'wine rack' will then become a rather attractive piece of furniture for either the sewing room or the dining room.

There was also a stunning rectangular mirror in dark timber surround which has come off a dressing table (the 'legs to support it are also in the deal and may be useful to convert into a mantelpiece if they are wide enough for the fireplace openings). It is still in the back seat of the ute as after wrestling the table, desk and shelving into their various homes my arms were not up to manoevring it - I will deal with that tomorrow). I thought that if the 'legs' are suitable for a fireplace, then the mirror will make a fantastic piece above the mantel in the loungeroom (or possibly the bedroom??) anyway - food for thought.

Bits and pieces included a laundry bag on a stand on wheels which will be handy for the bathroom, a linen bag with a lovely tartan picnic rug, a hand-made wagga (which I have emailed to check if it was intended to throw out - I think it is far too good to be throwing away), lots of spare sheets which come in handy for cutting up into bags and for straining stuff - an electric blanket which will go straight to the tip - you name it in the way of linen - Oh,and some lovely doileys.

In the kitcheware department, a stainless steel colander with a long handle, instead of those loops on the sides they usually have, some square plates - of that style of thing that was popular in the nineties - vaguely asian? some good chunky mugs and plates that will be hand for out door dining - a pie dish of excellent quality, and so it goes on, and on ...

I LOVE Freecycle - and am constantly astonished at what people throw out. Ah well, luck for me they do I guess. Will photograph some of the stuff tomorrow but need my dinner right now as I am famished.

ETA - forgot to mention that on the way home i passed a truck load of firewood heading the other way. Further down the road, I discovered he had lost some of his load on a corner. So that came home with me too. Six nice big bits of firewood!!!

1 comment: