Monday, January 10, 2011

It's been a busy day today starting with priming featherboards and the stop post for the end of the weatherboards. Wayne got busy with the bottom plate while that was going on and now I have a sound bottom plate all the way along the front wall. The front wall is tied to the floor joist at the corner to stop the corner post wobbling (this will be reinforced once the weather boards are also attached and that corner will be stablised (meaning I can then, once the house settles down, repair the large crack in the new plaster in the bedroom which resulted from the movement).

Along the side wall the insulation and sisalation is in for the bottom weatherboards, but the original boards are still in place on the upper section of the wall. This is because the weather has been threatening rain all day and the forecast does not bode well for the week's work.

Amazingly enough, neither of the cats managed to get themselves shut in under the floor (a source of some concern, as they frequently go under the house hunting). Esther was most put out the next time she wandered along and tried to get in - she hunted all along the wall for access and looked very puzzled.

I will put the dog kennel under the laundry window temporarily so they have an easy escape route if they need one.

The phone rang hot today - first Jenny called. They are cleaning out the rental property they own in Colebrook and she found two nice retro vinyl chairs she thought I might like. I reluctantly declined them as I have nowhere to keep such items I have to say, especially if the container has to go.

The next call was rather more surprising. It was a courier calling to deliver the jam pan and stuff that i ordered from the UK - that was amazingly rapid turnaround as they only dispatched it on the fourth!!! Unfortunately the courier does not dispatch to Parattah and the BP does not sign for packages, so I had to make a mad dash into town to meet him and collect the package - what fun!!

The electrician also turned up to do a few more things prior to the arrival of Aurora, so that should get sorted within 10 working days of last Friday. Hopefully some time this week given the number of Aurora vehicles that drive past here daily, but I am not holding my breath.

So,pleasantly weary tonight. Wayne is decidedly impressed with the shower and the various amenities the place now has on offer and seems to rather like playing with the microwave, lol.

Shadow is, of course, exhausted from all that supervision, so I imagine we will all sleep well tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment