Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Quilting was cancelled today due to lack of interest so I set about attacking the yard. The grass that had become completely out of control is now back under control (though the rest of the yard looks more than a little overgrown), and I started work on the chook shed.

This is being built from materials found around the yard - so the cladding will be four foot palings, the framing will be derived from the bits of wood removed from the lean-to and the door will be the dunny door. It is being built on the slab, and because of Rita's obsessive belief my chooks are planning an imminent attack on her yard on a daily basis, it will have a steep roof to avoid them perching up there.

The slab itself has a smoothed off surface but is far from level or square as it was constructed in haste when it turned out i had more concrete than was needed. So the shed will actually sit within the slab, rather than being on its edges. This will provide useful support for the nesting boxes, that, despite the sketch I have conclude will be on the side of the shed now.

I concluded that I didn't want to be driving four inch nails into really well seasoned hardwood so have cut rebates to house the studs which reduces the thickness of the timber to 35mm (which will give the 75mm screws some purchase in the stud ends).

Progress was fairly slow today due to the various preparatory things that needed to be dealt with (like designing the thing and working out what needed to be had to do the job) so I found some suitable lengths for the top and bottom plates, removed all the nails in them and cut the housings using my American chisel (the circular saw and a hammer). These are now ready to set to work tomorrow, cutting studs, widening the housings as I had discovered I only have 50mm timber, and hopefully building at least the front and back frames. The side frames will take some thought as I have no idea how to work out what angle to cut the tops, but I imagine I can work something out (maybe lay it all out on a flat surface and place the top plate so I can mark up the angle ...?).

Hopefully this spell of fine weather will maintain itself till I get the frame up and in place at least, so next fine weather I can apply cladding and roofing. The palings will be placed vertically front and back, with one layer overlapping the other to provide a good weather seal. Then, on the sides, they will be placed horizontally as weather boards so as to use their length to the best advantage. With the nesting boxes on the sides also, this will allow me to use some of the spare bits of galvanised offcuts to provide flashing onto the top of the nesting boxes. And hinged lids for ease of access. But that will require more thought and designing I feel.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see what you create for the chook shed Jo. Knowing you it will be functional, well-made and look great.

    Sorry been slack in following your blog this past week or two - just catching up.

    ReplyDelete