Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Last night i set to work to add calico to the tapestry frame and set the machine up on the kitchen counter to sew sleeves for that purpose, then tried the staple gun (that has proven useless for any purpose to which I have yet to put it) and finally resortde to some small brads - knocked over before they were fully in to hold the calico in place. Then rummaged in my box of tricks and found a nut that fitted the one threaded bolt that had nothing holding it in place.

After that little burst of industry I was ready for anything, so dug out the bee boxes, and the wooden coat racks and gave them all a coat of undercoat. They all need to have the other side done, but it is a start. The forecast thunderstorm arrived around 8 at night and dumped 8.7mm of rain on the place which was welcome, though I have no doubt it will make the grass grow even more rampantly than is already the case.

This morning I was wandering around bleary-eyed when Jean came to call with several Moccona Jars for me to use for storage (the shearers apparently go through gallons of the stuff), and a clumping onion thing that is like spring onions but grows all year round - you just pull off a few stems from the sides when you need spring onions for a recipe - a lovely gift to add to the various herbs she has given me in the past. I took her on a tour of the garden so she can check progress (it really is quite hard to imagine any progress is being made given the rampant growth of the grass), and discovered that yes, the crab apples definitely have flower buds (I was beginning to think may be they were just clusters of new leaves) as there is pink showing through between some of the green bits, so yay, I will have enough crabapples for one jar of crabapple jelly with any luck!

It was all grey and rainy again this morning so I set of for quilting with a clear conscience, clutching the tapestry frame and set to work once more. I have travelled half way across Bass Strait now, working my way around frolicing dolphins and whales and a rather strange land mass I certainly don't recall; the sole purpose of which seems to be providing a landing spot for a pair of pelicans. Since it is a bit bigger than the representation of Tasmania, those pelicans are doing rather nicely with their imaginary patch of real estate.

This evening was lovely clear, sunny and warm (despite it having been grey and cold all day) so the blackbirds are busy serenading us all. The cats are sulking on the bed as they have been confined to quarters once more. I have done a load of washing, put all the rest of the washing away, and set some whites to soak in some Napisan - a teatowel that was accidentally stained with tea, and two tops that have seen better days, but should come up nicely.

If tomorrow is as nice as this evening is I will try to get the lawn mowed tomorrow and wrestle things back under control. I did finally find that hexagonal drill bit, but it is the wrong size for the screw heads, so I will have to pre-drill and use my ratchet socket wrenches instead. If that doesn't work, will have to buy a drill bit of the right size next time i am in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment