By that stage it had finally decided it would be sunny, windy and overcast, but not raining, so I went out to set up my raised beds. Of course the critical item for making them is the driver bit that takes hex heads as I plan to use some of the numerous roofing-type screws that I have lying about (the ones too short to actually use for roofing, I have no idea why I have them actually) to attach the roofing sheets to the pieces of wood I plan to use for the frames. But i am not too sure where I last put it .... So rather than spend a day searching likely pozzies, I decided instead to make the steps I planned for between these new raised beds and the ones that are already there. For this I needed tyres. I had one tyre with nothing in the middle, but the other two still have their hubs attached. And the jemmy bar does not make a satisfactory tyre lever - at least not when I am using it.
I also pulled out the remaining brassicas which had all run to seed - there are still two broccoli in the patch, but i will cut them tomorrow and haul out the rest of the plants. So part of that bed has been dug over, and more compost added to the soil. The garlics that were poked in among the brassicas have been transplanted (eek, I hear you say) to the edges of the container and three gooseberries installed - their potted companions are to follow if the weather is kind tomorrow but these were bravely clinging to life in the sand heap, so were given precedence. And I have also started digging over the old chook pen floor in anticipation of a crop of corn and cucurbits in there. It is a pretty small area - only 2 metres square, so I will probably continue digging outside the boundaries so that I have a decent sized plot.
Finally, just to prove that the brassica bed did produce something of worth, here is the cauliflower before it became soup ...
No comments:
Post a Comment