Saturday, October 23, 2010

Fortunately I was treated to a fit of the sullens today - Rita remained indoors and actively avoided encounters. As a result i managed to get the final bits cut for the chook shed and have even managed to pre-drill holes for the batten screws (hopefully not too big).

The slope of the side walls was a bit of a challenge in terms of cutting the joists to receive the top plate, but they are all at the same angle. Whether it is the correct angle remains to be seen ...

Dry fitting the back wall identified a measurement error in terms of height which I rectified by trimming off 30mm from all the joists. This will also possibly go some way toward avoiding the need for birdmouth joints in the top plate. Not entirely, but some way ...

So now, weather permitting, I should manage to get a couple of walls up tomorrow (hopefully). Sorry about the lack of photos so far, but really what we are talking about is a pile of bits of wood of various lengths, some of which have areas checked out in them. Not terribly photogenic really.

Herby, I certainly hope it will be functional - the chickens are due in six days so I am operating under time pressure here given the state of the neighbour's temperament, and I want it finished, clad and roofed by then.

What else? Nothing really - just a lot of hard work, and hard concentration (not really my thing these days), checking and re-checking the work as I go along. Still, with any luck, like i said, the walls should probably be in position tomorrow, and hopefully also dynabolted down to the concrete once i have worked out how square i can get it to go ...

No comments:

Post a Comment