Yay! The chook shed is finished. It now has a door, a floor a front wall and is basically ready to rock and roll once the floor dries. The floor is a mix of fat sand, gravel and concrete, poured dry then sprinkled with water from the watering can. Not exactly cement, but it should be fine to discourage digging activities - especially once covered in a couple of inches of woodshavings and several inches of straw. There is a tiny, day-old-chick sized hole left, so I will need to cover that with a brick till the chicks are older (assuming there are any chicks - still trying to work that one out, but not encouraged).
Gavin knocked off around 10:30 and said he would call back for his money, so I popped into town to get some and returned to find this 'thank you note' from my neighbour.
Anyway, she headed out this afternoon so I went down to sort out an internal fence that will allow me to remove poultry activity from the concrete slab and reuse the concrete slab for a shed to house garden tools and/or chook food/equipment. I felt it advisable to wait as she has once again been patrolling the boundary and busily fixing more wire to the fence from her side (in the area behind the compost bins which is outside the chook run ...). Given the police advice to avoid engaging with her, I felt it prudent to await her disappearance before doing anything right on her boundary.
Anyway, the new fence is in position, though not finished (though the bits at her end are) and I will continue with it tomorrow if it does not rain. In case it does rain, I have also cut quite a bit of wood so I can keep the woodfire burning. At present, I have let it go out, so not too sure what I will be having for dinner as I am not keen on using the stovetop at present, while the gas bottle is not properly stable and there is a strong gusty wind blowing. Oh well, I will work something out I guess.
No comments:
Post a Comment