Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Forgot to mention - last night I clipped the chooks wings and moved the broody to a spot where she can not be harrassed by the neighbour (at least now i know what she was doing out of her run - she was scared out by a rampaging neighbour flapping at her when she took the sun on top of her box). She took the move well and has settled back down nicely.

I sat in the entrance to their night-shed and took down each bird, one at a time to clip their wings, and the third was Rastus,who also got his toenails clipped. Each bird was popped out on the grass once done, and as the next hen came down, poor Rastus ran at me to protect his girl who was squawking. Got to two feet away, realised who he was about to attack and looked self-concious as he turned to one side. This went on for each and every hen as she was done - he has a lovely nature that boy, and does such a great job looking after his flock. Good roosters you breed there Goodlifer!

2 comments:

  1. How lovely of Rastus to be looking after his girls like that! :-D (I'm 'Snuva' - who also writes Lottie's Lot FYI ;-) )

    I couldn't keep chicken 1) because my dog would LOVE watching them and stress them out, 2) I could never eat them, and 3) I've been an IVF patient too long to even feel comfortable eating egg from 'my girls' ' if I had some. Silly, I know. It would be good knowing the chooks who I ate or whose eggs I ate had a great life, but I'm not enough of a farmer to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Snuva - found your blog via the Fimby girls - hope you don't mind me peering in and passing it on. You look like you are having a ball.

    I can fully understand your viewpoint. Fortunately for me, I grew up on a small-holding so have few qualms about eating my girls (though I suspect Rastus may live a little longer than was originally planned just cos he is so good at his job). My girls do however, get to live a great life - plenty of stuff to scratch around in and the dog likes them too (though not in a prey way). He kind of ignores them mostly.

    One of my cats sat and stared at them for a couple of weeks when they first arrived as she had never seen them before, but now both cats ignore them also.

    Welcome to the blog and I look forward to snooping into your recipe file once more, lol

    ReplyDelete