Monday, October 25, 2010

I have to assume Rita received my note this morning when she went to collect her mail. The response was not printable, and was sufficiently aggressive that I felt compelled to call the police. They have been out and had a chat and recorded my concerns but I suggested that an actual visit to her place might actually be viewed as provocative and he agreed.

I have therefore made no progress with the shed today and am in fact relocating it to a less potentially contentious position (despite having had her prior verbal agreement to the originally proposed position.

The response so far has been a notice posted stating 'Rat Poison laid to deter vermin' which was promptly removed when she had notice of the impending visit by the local constabulary. And my request that she remove her scarecrow (which actually provides an ideal perch to tempt little birdies to fly into her yard) I was ignored. In the mean time she has developed a dug bed, presumably to 'prove' that her garden is a reality.

I have also tried once again to contact the local animal control officer and asked that a time-dated record be made that i have been trying to get in touch since Friday, as an attempt to pre-empt any further false accusations.

Not sure what else I can do. I will, however, be asking the ladies at quilting tomorrow for recommendations for a local fencing contractor and will then present Rita with the obligatory three quotes. Since she was the last person to suggest we needed a new fence, and I agree, even if I can not currently afford it, I think it has to become a necessity over and above some of the proposed building work...

I will obtain quotes for four foot (existing) and five foot (enhanced security) fencing to provide her with options.

In the mean time I have concluded that placing the shed on the slab will simply be further provocation in an already difficult situation, so will build it on the shared boundary between the two runs the hens now occupy. This will also provide them with housing that can be used whichever run they are in.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this Jo. So hard with neighbour troubles. As Robert Frost said"good fences makes good neighbours" (although I also think he didn't like his either).

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I do seem to have copped a double whammy this time. Still, with a decent fence and a dense six foot evergreen hedge I can just ignore her. I suspect also that she will start to back off too as what she doesn't seem can not trigger any excuses for carrying on. And at least neither of my neighbours is particularly liked in the district, whereas generally speaking, I am, so I have plenty of sympathy and support and assistance when action is required urgently.

    ReplyDelete