Thursday, March 26, 2015

This morning dawned dark and drear with rain falling in quantities (well, 12 mm in all). As a consequence i overslept by quite a bit, and barely had time to walk the dogs, feed myself and get in to clean the two cottages I thought I had to deal with. It was only as I was putting out the envelope for incoming guests that I realised that the cottage with its curtains drawn, and no key in the box, was in fact the one tonight's guests were checking into. So I headed to the Roxy for some sustenance to keep me going and some toilet paper (as we had run out of that in two of the cottages) and set to work once more.

The incoming guests had phoned ahead requesting an early check in but had been told not to bother turning up before 2 as it would not be ready for them. Good thing too as the outgoing guests had left a bombsite. Unfortunately the incoming guests felt they were entitled to check in (even though checkin is not until two) and turned up at about quarter to the hour, telling me they were checking in.

I politely explained that as I was still cleaning the cottage (I was standing in front of a pile of soiled linen that had yet to be bagged), I would appreciate it if they returned at two, as previously advised. They then asked how they were to check in. I explained that i had left an envelope with instructions at 'reception'. They said they had that, but the key was not there. I explained that this was because the cottage was not ready for occupation, as I was still cleaning it...... They went off looking most disgruntled so I let the boss know in case of repercussions.

Having finally cleaned the cottage I then went to Roberts' for a bale of hay, since with all the rain, all thought of cutting any off my place was completely out of the question. Got home with it, and took the barrow (and my pitchfork, which I find easier to use than the specially designed pooper scooper Judy has) over the road, and mucked out the stall. I have to wonder just how long it had been since it was last done as yesterday I collected two heaped barrow-loads, and today's was less than a barrow. Spread an extra bale of straw around (I have found the stash!), then took the load back to my place, put it around the tree I had cleared around last time i was slashing, and then took the bale of lucerne hay back over the road.

I had suspected the horse was hungry as she was muscling in on me to access the straw as I spread it around. She was given two sandwiches of hay in the hay net and then I headed home to my lot.

Despite the overcast and rain, it is not as cold indoors as one would expect. Nevertheless I have the fire going at a low burn, and am enjoying listening to the rain on the roof once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment