Judy has a plot running. She has decided the only way to get some action next door is to lead by example. So today, not only her horse, but all the other horses, got a grooming. And the younger ones were given some lead rope training. And all the poo was collected and bagged and dumped onto the lane for me to collect and deal with as I saw fit.
So I have used the first seven bags to top up the levels in a garden bed that has subsided somewhat over the years. I will add a couple more bags to ensure it is just over the top of the raised sides, and then water in a mix of green manure seeds to keep it going and weed-free over winter, before planting it up next Spring. Several dozen more bags will be put to similar uses in some of the other wicking beds that were not planted this summer due to lack of water. By next summer I should have some good soil to work with as the worms will do their bit as well as the green manure.
The continuous supply will be used to mulch around all of the fruit trees also, on the principle that it will be like painting the Sydney Harbour Bridge. By the time I get around the orchard, it will be time to top up the first ones, etc. I am told by someone who does this himself, that he never has to water his fruit trees because he has done this around all of them for some time.
Also on the cards today was mowing. I mowed till I ran out of fuel, and there is still quite a bit more to do. But it was a good start. I will refuel when I go into town tomorrow and get some for the whipper-snipper as well.
Three loads of washing was my lot for the day, and now the dogs and I are sitting back wondering if we have the energy to go for our long walk.
No comments:
Post a Comment