Wednesday, March 26, 2014
I have spoken to the electorate office and they are forwarding my email to the Minister, along with some from various other disgruntled constituents, as apparently mine is a case study that illustrates a point they are making. Lots of questions as to whether I wanted my name appended - to which I agreed (hey, you never know, they might send me the money for the aerial).
Meanwhile, being destitute, I have started having 'winning lotto' fantasies (my favourite pass time when things are coming unstuck).
There is a nice (terribly overgrazed and mis-treated) parcel of land on the outskirts of Oatlands that has been for sale for a couple of years. It intrigues me as there are a number of drystone walls subdividing it into paddocks of around 3/4 of an acre, as well as some sheds - one of which is inhabited. The sheds are corrugated iron, very old, and, I suspect, heritage listed (as would be the stone walls) which is probably what has inhibited the sale. Behind that property, and close to the edge of the Lake, is another paddock of equivalent size; not overgrazed and with no stone walls. http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-tas-oatlands-110578209
Being a bit of a fan of Joel Salatin, it occured to me that the property (with the addition of the less stressed paddock that runs between it and the Lake) would make a nice little smallholding. You could construct a corridor between the fields with a hen run up by the (yet to be constructed) house, and the hens able to access the paddocks on a rotation basis, and run some cattle, then sheep, and possibly a pig or two through them with the hens following up behind to scratch over the paddocks, pick the manure and generally boost soil fertility, and you could build a nice house on the paddock closer to the lake (sheds to straddle fences to house livestock when they are in the paddocks). A nice five foot drystone wall around the perimeter with a hedge inside that, and fence inside that again (until the hedge had been laid) and you would, in a few years have a truly delightful abode, since with the humungous lotto win that underpins this fantasy, you would be able to get the work all done and dusted before moving in, lol.
Having just checked out the (now reduced) price, I could be seriously tempted even without a lotto win (if I had any money at all). Though of course, the price only include the top left hand paddock, not the two additional and more desirable ones that would be necessary to make it a viable farmlet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I suppose you are aware that Joel Salatin was recently in Launceston. I only found out after the event via a Landline segment on the ABC TV
ReplyDeleteYes, unfortunately I couldn't attend, but I knew he was there - love what he has done with his farm. Though he has a lot of help from the family and helpers. I was thinking Wwoofers to be accommodated in the shed/cottage that is there, would be a good way of getting that extra labour for me. This entire fantasy started with the thought of getting a haircut, lol.
DeleteLooks like an interesting property.
ReplyDeleteI like to dream about a more rural lifestyle.
The drystone wall with hedges would be nice.
You might have to be careful of the other paddock closer to the lake.
On google maps it shows outlines of a 10 small block subdivison on a cul de sac.
The subdivision might not be economically viable at the moment.
But I guess it would spoil the rural idyll to have it next door.
Yes I have discovered that the local builder has bought it for profit-taking purposes so sadly not a goer even if I had won lotto (which I haven't). He would drive a hard bargain to part with his future dreams. And the Minister has bought the adjacent block for his future financial security so I guess that it is all to no purpose. But the good thing about fantasies is that reality has no bearing on them, lol.
ReplyDelete