I'm actually doing Spring Cleaning right now (albeit six months late) as the place had become a bit of a sty over the last four weeks which compounded the general chaos (mental) that the experience has induced. So lots more washing today as well - all the dog and cat bedding (including the throws that go over the chairs so that people don't get cat fur on them when they sit down (though most of my friends just sit on the throws and to heck with it lol).
It was a perfect autumn day today - still, cornflower blue skies, dew-decked mini-spiderwebs when we went for our first walk this morning, mushrooms thrusting from the earth (but not for long as they will be a light snack before tonight's dinner) and a warm sunshine that was not overwhelmingly hot. Bliss.
Vacuumed through the house this morning which was a bit of a production as at first the vac would not suck, and then when used the other vacuum to clean its air-filter still would not suck so I had to pull it apart and cut hair from the rotating brush and then put it back together again after which it worked. Then I tried to get the second (industrial strength) vacuum cleaner to suck and it too was uncooperative, so I pulled it apart and discovered that the last bags that I bought were not the right size so its innards were full of hair and dirt, and had to be emptied out and swept and bashed and banged till they looked about right, and I have yet to find out if that was successful as I am unable to buy replacement bags until I am next in town. In case you are wondering, the first is an upright and the second is a pull along. They each have their uses in this house (eg the pull along is good for getting under beds and cupboards etc.)
Then the Telstra man arrived (after I had put out two more loads of washing) and brought his box of tricks and voila - I had internet like real people have. It even worked in the office which is the opposite side of the house from the source of the signal (a hill several km north of Oatlands, which explains a lot, since i am several km south of Oatlands). The nearer repeater is blocked from my place due to an inconvenient hill. Perhaps I could get them to find coal in said hill and dig it away! Not only does that mean I can use the laptop in the loungeroom in front of a cosy fire in winter, but I can also use the desktop in the study. What is more, it boosts the signal on my phones as well so I can make and receive calls from the comfort of my own home. Gobsmacked at the future pleasures. And I can probably make up the monthly payments by not having to pay for petrol to drive around looking for a signal (well, perhaps not, but it will certainly help).
Then the nice man came back and took it away again (he barely escaped with his life!). 'Someone will be in touch' in the next few days to arrange a payment schedule and delivery of my very own one.
It is in two parts. There is a box about the size of a toaster that sits on the kitchen window ledge and plugs in there. Then there is a second box which has to be a certain distance from the first box to allow for signals to remain unconfused, and this emits wifi into the house boosting signals in all directions. I will also try to the big box in the laundry (which will be a rather more convenient spot for it) when I get my own (and on top of various cupboards in the kitchen).
So problem solved. Now all I need to do is convince my MP of the inequity of the situation and see if he will pay for it, lol.
No comments:
Post a Comment