Monday, March 10, 2014

I left early last night (well, 8:30 pm) as i had realised there might be a problem with parking at the other end. Not to mention the need to buy fuel en route as it is a lot cheaper at the other end of the journey than it is up here. So petrol bought and parking found (rather easily) I was there half an hour before the performance was due to start which gave me ample time to collect my ticket and get settled into a nice seat. Or so I thought. It had been delayed for half an hour so I spent that time sitting outside watching the world go by.

It was an amazingly warm night and people were out in sleeveless dresses - backless dresses, you name it. Astonishingly not like Hobart at all where the sea breeze usually drops the temperature noticeably by mid -afternoon. I was rather overdressed as I had anticipated it being cooler.

The performer, DeWayne Everett-Smith, was great - beautiful voice, great vocal range and interesting songs he had written himself. Not country and western as I had anticipated - more cabaret. His backing singers were good too - but scary looking - not at all the sort of woman you would want to upset, and prone to taking offence if you looked at them the wrong way I suspect!

The Spiegeltent was amazing. Like stepping back into a turn of the century Paris nightclub. Dark timber dominated the walls with large bevel-edged mirrors partitioned by curved glazing bars all around the walls. The pillars supporting the roof were also clad on all four sides with bevel edged mirrors and the circular ceiling was draped in fabrics in golds, browns and creams, gathered to the centre. Around the perimeter, behind these were booths with turned spindles on the upper portion and boxed in tables and seats and cocktail tables in front of the stage. All that was missing was candles in red glass holders!

On my return home at 1 am, I let the dogs out for  wee and put out food for the cats (who are fed on top of the washing machine these days) in the hope it would buy me a sleep in in the morning. No such luck as we were up at 7am. But once they had their walk, I had my breakfast and a shower and the cats were fed once more, I had a little lie down, got up for lunch and another walk, then had another nap this afternoon. Feeling almost human now.

2 comments:

  1. I'm Speigltenting on Sunday night because the bearded wonder is taking me out to the big smoke for my birthday. Going to a show called Cantina which is Caberet/burlesque/circus all combined. Sounded interesting. I'd like to photograph the interior of the tent but I don't know if cameras are allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun. Cantina was on before DeWayne. Not sure about cameras inside, no harm asking. I did not take mine as it is also the phone (at least my most compact one is). They may let you sneak in to take images as they set up for the performance (Cantina has a different staging arrangement to singers).

    ReplyDelete