Today was a taste of winter, though not as
convincing as they promised us. Heavy rain they said (well it mists up
my glasses if I moved fast enough). No sign of that yet, though they are
still optimistic for later. I will walk the dogs around 6ish to ensure
they get their loo break in in anticipation.
Meanwhile there has been the problem of lighting the fire. I only read
the forecast at 5:30 last night so was in a bit of a panic, but found
enough bits of wood in what remains of the pile to be able to fit into
the woodburner and they have been chugging away since lunchtime, it
being grey, damp and miserable. Fortunately so far the strong winds also
forecast have kept their distance, but seem to be picking up at
present.
I have so far sent off an email to Telstra (just fielded a phone call
from the technician who will come up next Tuesday lunchtime), fired off
an email to my local Member to highlight my annoyance at the costs
involved (I have to pay $800 for an antenna if it actually works) and
the disadvantages of this sort of inequity to rural dwellers (pointing
out that amortised across the city populations, it would be a negligible
increase to them while providing equitable access to us, and also
asking how come someone buying a service from Westnet (who buy from
Optus, who buy from Telstra) can nevertheless offer more service for
less cost. I have invited him to meet with me, or send his
representative, so that we can discuss a more equitable approach and
intervention at the highest levels - not to mention suggesting that this
is all the consequence of his own government's recent actions).
So apart from cleaning the bank, having a nice nap in front of the fire,
and eating a disgustingly unhealthy shredded chicken in gravy bread
roll (purchased under the label of roast beef and gravy roll), I have
not achieved much at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment