Today has been more a case of 'who is actually in
charge?'. This is generally Esther (the smaller of the two cats), but
while he is not willing to attack, Sebastian is not willing to back down
either, so there has been a steady stalking around the house for much
of the day.
Shadow is aware of it, but chooses to remain distant, though I would not
like Seb's chances if he decided to hurt Esther. Shadow is very
protective of 'his' cats.
Shadow has also sought a degree of reassurance today, since Sebastian, when barricaded off the lounge, tries to ooze his way onto Shadow's bed, even if Shadow is on it. This may involve sitting firmly against Shadow's rump, sitting directly in front of his nose or other tricks of assertion. Shadow just gets up, turns around a few times and lies down again.
So for me it has been a day of monitoring proceedings and staying out of
it (which appears to be Smidgen's approach also) while they sort things
out. When things get to the point I feel tensions are building up, we
go for a walk. Both dogs, one dog, depending on what seems appropriate.
When I have Sebastian solo we do some training. Sit, heel etc. Sit seems to be a variable skill depending on the attractions. 'Come' is also a learning curve. But he has on several occasions responded when other temptations had him at the full extent of the leash, so there is some hope we may make progress.
I think I have walked more in the last two days than in the previous 12 months, lol. But I expect it is good for me too.
Raided the freezer and found some left-over lamb biriyani so no prizes for guessing what is for dinner tonight.
Hope you all have a really Happy New Year. Mine will, as always, be a quiet one until midnight when the local hoons wake me with their drunken revelries (which last about five minutes) and I will maintain my own tradition of starting the lawn mower at 8:30 tomorrow morning. Small things, but it is important to maintain traditions like these, lol.
Sounds like the beginnings of a tome or two on the psychological interactions between the canine and feline worlds could be the go for 2014. Happy new year.
ReplyDeleteI wish all dog owners were as considerate and thoughtful as you.
ReplyDeleteI hope the hoons didn't keep you awake too long,
or at least you have well mown lawn now.
Happy new year
Hello Wayne - good to see you are alive and kicking!! Yes, animal psychology 101 will be the order of the day for a while now. Speaking of which I will need to take Seb for a walk soon as he is starting to psych out Esther (payback for stalking him for so many days).
ReplyDeleteGeorge, the lawn did not get mown. It is still overgrown and becoming alarming. Hopefully I will summon the energy to get it done tomorrow (along with various other chores).