Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The rhubarb bottling saga continued this morning with five bottles put up before heading into Oatlands to help load rubbish from the shed-gutting exercise yesterday. This went onto the ute and two runs to the tip got rid of most of it. What remained came home with me as it will be useful for when I build the chicken run. Not least of all will be almost full roll of fine mesh wire (like bird wire but with a 10mm mesh) which will be superb for the main coop.

Then home again to finish bottling the second lot with the result I now have 11 bottles of rhubarb. You can see the difference between my normal rhubarb and this stuff from the Garden if you compare this image with the one from yesterday. These look like rubies!

Still wondering what to do about the jelly that isn't a jelly. I think I will try cutting up an apple, putting it in muslin and boiling it with the syrup I have, in the hope that the pectin from the apple will allow it to jel. Don't want to add any more Jamsetta as it leaves a nasty aftertaste if you overdo it.

So between the rhubarb bottling, clearing up the Community Garden and watering my own (doing a bit of weeding, progress-checking and other activities en route, washing the dog (since he needs to smell nice if we go visiting tomorrow) and generally clearing out cupboards so I have somewhere to put this stuff, it has been a fairly productive but not terribly demanding day all up.

Best wishes for tomorrow to you all. I won;t be blogging as I will be at a friend's place for the evening. So - journey safely, eat wisely (or if not, well) and arrive safely at the end of this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment