It is a bit higher than the previous table to accommodated the drawer depth and also because I suspect farmhouse tables were designed to be useful work benches as well as fancy features. So at 87cm it is a good height to be working on. Not so good for typing on I have to say, but I will work around this somehow.
One of its legs is a bit wonky, having split through the table being dragged and pushed to move it about. A couple of long countersunk screws should set that right though so not a major issue. Just have to remember to do that before it falls off, lol. The retro chairs I found at the tip sit up to it nicely with room for knees to fit. The chair in the photo came with the table, and will be used for Spare when I am seating more than four around the table.
My clay critters also arrived back from the potter today (remember I made them at the Open Day?). The look rather more the thing now they are fired and glazed and are settling into their new home in the food forest. One under the plum tree, the other temporarily beside the future seat (but its final fate is not yet decided).The rolled tongue is actually a funnel to direct drips into the mouth which suggests a slightly more moist location than the garden bed to me. But I will see what inspires me.
Kim Foale (the artist who organised all this) also gave me one of her clay spoons. They are the size of a teaspoon bowl and the bowl is glazed in a translucent blue which has depth and vibrancy to it. The rest is brushed with iron oxide and has a bleached and weathered look to it. The curve is just the right size and location for your thumb and the other side of the handle has a shallow indentation ideal for the side of your forefinger to rest in. The handle is drilled so if I was a few years younger I could bung on a leather thong and wear it around my neck. Lovely and versatile.

No comments:
Post a Comment