Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The applique is going gangbusters since I worked out how to do it. While not much was done today (too much moving back and forth to the table for morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea etc), I have completed two flowers which is pleasing. The results are not to professional standards (the odd fuzzy corner, pointy curve etc) but the technique is getting easier as I go along, so by the time I am done I should have the hang of it.
The work has been greatly aided by the new supply of sewing cottons. I had thought I would simply use the charcoal thread, but once you have left the background fabric behind and are building up layers, you really do need to match your cotton fairly closely to the fabric to avoid the stitches showing up. The new tenants seem to be in nesting mode - apparently they are expecting their first in October so are buzzing around decorating and cleaning up the yard and emptying the shed of the rubbish in there, and generally done vast amounts of work that I would otherwise have to pay for - so I am feeling fairly charitable at present. Her father is a professional painter and is charge of the painting works, his uncle is a glazier so is sorting out the locks on the double-glazed windows and the one pain that gets humidity in it (and has ever since i owned the place). If they keep going at this rate, then come the time to sell, I may approach them privately and see if I can avoid agents fees... Tomorrow I am juggling dog vet visits with voluntary work collating the pamphlet for the polytunnel so we can take it to Longford with us on Saturday when we go up to visit their community garden and pick their brains. It will be a busy day, so no sewing is likely to happen Still I got some wood cut tonight which should see me through both days and will try to cut some more tomorrow morning before I set out as it seems it may rain on Friday (hah!).

No comments:

Post a Comment