Saturday, July 27, 2013
I have to wonder if I am maybe getting old. I borrowed a modern romance from the library, but had to put it aside after about page 10 (and I only got that far in the hope the first had simply been a 'teaser' to invite the reader into the novel. But as far as I could see it was borderline hard core pornography. Since when does 'romance' require a detailed description of the body parts of the players (without clothes on)? THat, combined with the fact the male protagonist was the sort of arrogant prat who feels if a woman ignores him it is OK to be obnoxious, ... well let's say I will stick to something a little more subtle in future. Fortunately the next book I picked up was just that - Rainmaker is a lovely novella (and yes it does include a romance) about human courage and endurance set in the Dustbowl during the Depression - well worth reading. So now i have no books left and the library does not re-open till Monday and the Bellerive library is closed at 12:30 so I didn't get there either. I resorted to the e-books my friend Caroline gave me - and a trashy romance at that - this one with rather more humour and panache than the last. Apart from the battery going flat because i can't be bothered taking the cord in with me, e-reading does have its merits (hands-free for a start), and some de-merits (no room for the cat, dry eyes if you do it for too long).
Today's training was an essential boost to my somewhat flagging interest in selling diet products with some great presenters who actually said something rather than being talking heads. A refreshing change. The dog is knackered from his day in day-care and the ute has a cracked windscreen courtesy of some gravel in Bridgewater. Irritating that - it is a linear fracture coming up from the driver's side bottom corner, in direct line to join the tiny star fracture that has been a feature of the windscreen for some time now. Sigh. I guess I will need to sort that before it falls out spontaneously..
Boiling some rice to go with the Madras curry I made yesterday (a bit bland/mild I have to say) and thinking Boston Baked Beans would be a nice next recipe to re-visit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment