Monday, December 27, 2010


No recipe after all, but i stuffed it with rice that had a mix of oregano, parsley, tarragon, garlic and carrots and celery in it, all finely chopped to cook through, and laid it on a bed of oregano and parsley, wrapped in foil and baked in the oven for rather longer than I expected it to take. But then, I think I can be pretty confident it was not a 500g trout such as those referred to in the recipes I looked at. It was scrummy. And will continue to be scrummy for a few more days by the looks of it. I may be eating trout at Easter, despite gorging on it tonight.

Another blooming cold day - 1.6 when I got up this morning, so I can kiss my corn crop goodbye for this year. Surprisingly the tomatoes are still looking healthy though, so all is not yet lost.

There was a cabbage seedling I planted about 6 months ago which sat and looked at me for most of that time, then one day I went down the back and it was about four feet high, with a good solid head, and several baby heads along the long stem it had developed. I cut out the head today (and several baby heads) and grated it to make sauerkraut. There are now four moccona jars of sauerkraut developing in a cupboard i rarely access so it will be interesting to see what happens. Apparently it forms a liquid which bubbles enthusiastically (hence the need for the large jars with sealing, but not tight-fitting lids) and pushes the lids off from time to time and then after four weeks it becomes fairly edible, once cooked with white wine. It will be interesting to see what happens, as long as it does not explode. You apparently need to leave a large gap above the solids to accommodate this. So - one savoy cabbage put down for storage.

Also cleaned out the fridge interior thoroughly, disposed of the water dispenser which was a relic of not having taps, and installed, instead, two water bottles, of a more elegant style.

Then I cut up several more palings to add to the bits of fence post remainining, and finally cracked and lit the fire at 11am. It was blooming bitter inside, despite it having been a sunny morning, so there was nothing else for it. Eleven degrees in the bedroom, no less!

No comments:

Post a Comment