Sunday, December 5, 2010

It was a bit of a shock to the system, after the warmth of the last few days, to wake to 7 degrees this morning. And worse to discover that 12.9 was the best temperature the day could turn on. So I am afraid I lit the fire, cut some more wood and sat and read once more, stirring only long enough to feed the chooks and see they had water.

Last night I went down to remove the hen from the shed and put her in with the others. She got out of the shed a few times, but then I had a brainwave and stirred Rastus into action, and he soon convinced her she belonged with the rest of the flock. Today, they have been remarkably accepting of her presence and her sister has welcomed her with open arms. They are now pottering around the yard together as if they have never been parted.

The chick, who is a bit bolshy at the best of times, decided he was not happy with the arrangements so flew up to the sill of the wired-off section of the shed and stood staring out that the brave new world. So I clipped his wing and he is now, once again, earthbound, but not happy with the new arrangements. He holds me personally responsible (which I guess I am) and tells me so whenever he spots me. Apart from that he seems to be coping on his own very well and so we will just have to wait and see whether he starts to crow (which I suspect is a safe bet) or cluck, (which would be a pleasant surprise).

The beauty of the last of the wood is that it is so dense I am still enjoying the warmth of the second piece I put on at 10:30 this morning. Probably time for another, but it is amazing how long it burns for.

No comments:

Post a Comment