Friday, July 7, 2017

Because the lino was rolled in a sausage for a long time, and does not have glue under it, it retains a few bumps and hollows that will go away once it is warm. Since it was minus 3 this morning and overcast all day, that has not yet happened. Tomorrow I will be at home all day (finally!) and so will run the fan heater in the kitchen to warm things up a bit. I will also have to lift the odd heavy item to let the rolls spread out and reach the wall. Other than that, Seb is fascinated by the sound his feet make on it and so spends large amounts of time walking around in circles in there, lifting his feet with care when they hit a high spot and shaking them! The cats are taking it in their stride.

History Room today and a mixed bag of five visitors - two nice, three not so nice. The nice ones stayed too short a time and left me with the one who asked lots of questions then changed the subject as soon as I opened my mouth to respond. The last two arrived at 3:40 as I was just getting up to close up. They wanted to do family research so I explained we would be closing in half and hour but gave them the file. They didn't want to have to pay for photocopies so got their camera out and photographed about 50 pages. Then gave a ten dollar donation under duress. He would ask a question that I would answer, then she would ask the same question. I left them to it and went about shutting up shop around them. At two minutes to four I was herding them to the door where they stopped and asked for directions to the Church yard which I provided, then they started disparaging the quality of information in our folders, so I suggested that if they wanted to see the cemetery they had best be getting along as we were losing light. They agree and made as if to leave then stopped once more for directions to the nearest public toilet, moving back into the building in anticipation of me offering them ours. I usually would be happy to do so, but in this instance directed them to the ones by the side of the Lake. They were still parked outside when I left. Horrible people.

I have however, made much progress on the vest - rounds being somewhat shorter due to decreases, and have only 70 rows or so to go before it is finished. Phew. That is, of course, before I have to cut steeks and pick up stitches for arm and neck bands. I ran out of white just as I finished the row that required it, but am pretty sure I have a spare ball of white around the correct size. Not the creamy white of the Shetland, but near enough and that is the merit of fair isle, as long as you don't change in mid-row it is pretty hard to spot!

Looking forward to a day to collect myself, cut some architraves and fit the door back on the laundry. I will leave the skirting till the lino has settled down a bit. It does show marks, unfortunately but it has inspired me to be busily mopping daily, if not several times a day, so that's not a bad thing. I will have to get a mat for inside the back door to pick up stuff that is brought in from outside by me and the dog. I am thinking cotton crocheted mat I can make myself, if I borrow Jenny's jumbo crochet hook. I certainly have no shortage of cotton strips.

No comments:

Post a Comment